When you’re on the pill it depletes certain essential nutrients that we need to thrive – physically, mentally and emotionally.
This is why it’s so important to learn how to support your health and consciously replenish these nutrients daily when you’re on the pill and for when you decide to transition off it. Coming off the pill without sufficiently supporting your body will have you face to face with hormonal havoc and the vengeance of post pill symptoms that can return with it!
Remember, the pill works as a “bandaid”, it never regulated your periods or fixed your symptoms, it only superficially managed them by switching off your hormone production. So when you decide to come off the pill, whether its 10 months or 6 years later, those underlying problems are still beneath the surface ready to reappear when the bandaid is ripped off.
The good news is, we’re about to dive into ways you can safeguard your body against the effects of the pill and prepare it for when you do transition off it so that you can bounce back strong.
5 Tips for Living With & Transitioning Off The Pill Safely
- The pill depletes your body of B-vitamins, zinc, magnesium, selenium, folate, vitamin C and vitamin E. These are essential for hormones, skin, moods, energy, conception, immunity, adrenal and metabolic health. Eating whole foods rich in these nutrients will help combat depletions caused by the pill, however, supplementation is also beneficial especially when you have transition off the pill. Moon Boost in Moonbox is an effective way of replenishing lost magnesium as are foods such as avocados, dark leafy greens, nuts and seeds. Try brazil nuts for selenium and pumpkin seeds, oysters and red meat for helping to replenish zinc. If you’d like free weekly hormone nourishing recipe inspiration sign up to MOON MEALS here.
- Eat lots of healthy fats because it’s the amino acids in fats which are what make hormones. Focus on foods such as sardines, wild caught salmon, anchovies, nuts, seeds, avocado, olive, eggs, olive oil, coconut etc. Especially when you are transitioning off the pill ensure you’re getting enough omega-3 fatty acids to support hormone production and healthy ovulation. Earth Seeds in Moonbox, provide you with a 30 day supply of hemp, chia and sesame to ensure that you are consistently consuming adequate amounts of fat each day for optimal health.
- Join Moonbox. Learn how to live your life in support of your hormones ON and OFF the pill. It’s recommended to do the program before going cold turkey off the pill in order to make the transition easier. This way your body will be more prepared, resilient and in a healthier position to be able to bounce back into a pill-free lifestyle faster and limit the return of any symptoms like missing or irregular periods, acne and mood swings. The program covers all nutrition, lifestyle, environment and detoxification factors influencing hormonal health. Click here for more info.
- Eliminate endocrine disruptors. Endocrine disruptors are chemicals that interfere with the endocrine system and can contribute to hormone imbalance, cancers, birth defects and other disorders. To help reduce the toxic load on your body its recommended to avoid these chemicals wherever possible. These are found in plastics, skincare, makeup and food. So avoiding plastics and opting for organic food without pesticides can make a huge difference, as can making the switch to 100% all natural skincare, makeup and household cleaning products. For skincare I recommend the brand Edible Beauty (use code: MOONBOX20 for 20% off) and my favourite natural makeup is Ere Perez (code: MYMOONBOX for 20% off)
- Support estrogen detoxification. The pill can contribute to a hormonal condition known as estrogen dominance which can cause mood swings, tender breasts, weight gain, endometriosis, ovarian cysts and more. When you’re on the pill and coming off the pill it’s important to help your body detoxify excess estrogen. You can do this by increasing your intake of fibrous foods, especially leafy greens and cruciferous vegetables including spinach, cabbage, broccoli, kale, bok choy and cauliflower every day. This will help remove toxins from the body and prevent estrogen recycling.
If you’re on the pill or thinking about transitioning off it, please don’t underestimate the impact that the pill does have on the female body and that regardless of how long you’re on it for it can really take time to properly rebalance and regain a healthy regular cycle again.
The key is patience and consistency with how you’re choosing to nourish your body on a daily basis. If you’re wanting support getting back to optimal hormonal balance and function then I recommend checking out our Join Moonbox page here.